Advanced Pain Medical Group treats adults in Los Angeles, Kern, and Ventura County experiencing back pain with a potent solution — Lumbar Transforaminal Epidural Steroid Injection (LTESI).
Understanding Lumbar Transforaminal Epidural Steroid Injection
LTESI is a minimally invasive procedure characterized by a targeted approach. It specifically focuses on the epidural space in the lumbar spine, delivering steroids to alleviate inflammation and manage pain.
Your care team may want to pair this injection with the following treatments:
- Organized Therapy
- Modifying Daily Activities
- Ergonomic Corrections
Lumbar Transforaminal Epidural Steroid Injection allows for direct and accurate placement of medication, assuring maximum efficacy and results. This precision sets it apart from other pain management procedures — it capitalizes on locational specificity to minimize potential side effects and yield optimal outcomes.
How Does LTESI Work?
The LTESI procedure is facilitated by fluoroscopic guidance, or live X-ray imaging, which enables the physician to visualize the patient’s spinal anatomy in real-time. The steroid medication is then delivered to the inflamed nerve root in the epidural space — the primary source of the pain. By offering this targeted treatment, LTESI mitigates pain more effectively, relieving discomfort and potentially improving quality of life.
Recovery after LTESI is generally quick, with most patients able to return to their normal daily activities following the procedure. It is another reason this procedure has gained recognition as a preferred option for the management of chronic lumbar pain.
Conditions Lumbar Transforaminal Epidural Steroid Injections Treat
A lumbar transforaminal epidural steroid injection is a procedure used to treat various conditions that cause pain and inflammation in the lower back and spine. Some of the common conditions that can be treated with this injection include:
- Herniated Disc: When the soft cushions between the vertebrae in the spine become damaged or slip out of place, they can press on the spinal nerves, causing pain and other symptoms. The injection can help reduce inflammation and relieve pain associated with a herniated disc.
- Spinal Stenosis: This condition occurs when the spinal canal narrows, putting pressure on the spinal cord and nerve roots. A transforaminal epidural steroid injection can help reduce inflammation and alleviate pain caused by spinal stenosis.
- Degenerative Disc Disease: As the discs in the spine age and wear down, they can become painful and cause inflammation. The injection can help reduce inflammation and provide pain relief for degenerative disc disease.
- Sciatica: Sciatica refers to pain that radiates along the path of the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lower back down the back of each leg. This condition can be caused by compression or irritation of the nerve roots in the lower spine. An epidural steroid injection can help reduce inflammation and relieve pain associated with sciatica.
- Facet Joint Arthritis: The facet joints in the spine can become painful and inflamed due to arthritis. The injection can provide pain relief by reducing inflammation in the affected joints.
It’s important to note that the decision to undergo a lumbar transforaminal epidural steroid injection should be made in consultation with a healthcare professional. Every person is different and you need to most appropriate treatment for your body and condition.
Impacts On Mobility & Quality of Life
By relieving pain and discomfort, LTESI directly influences mobility improvements. Consequently, overall lifestyle enhancements follow, allowing most patients to resume regular activities. The treatment relieves pain, allowing you to move more comfortably for work, hobbies, and daily life activities. Some aspects of movement are much easier after pain relief injections.
- Bending At The Waist
- Standing For Long Periods
- Sitting Comfortably
- Walking Longer Distances
The link between LTESI and lifestyle enhancements is fundamentally anchored on restoring functionality. As pain and discomfort recede, patients can steadily reintegrate into their regular routines, gradually widening their range of activities.
What To Expect During The Lumbar Transforaminal Steroid Procedure
The LTESI procedure is pretty straightforward. Here’s what you should expect.
- Your technician will apply local anesthesia to numb the area.
- Then, they’ll guide a needle into the epidural space using fluoroscopy.
- After that, they’ll slowly inject a corticosteroid-anesthetic mixture into the epidural space.
- Then, they inject a small amount of contrast solution to confirm proper positioning.
- Throughout the procedure, they monitor your vital signs and comfort level.
- Finally, they withdraw the needle carefully. Then, clean and bandage the puncture site.
- Then, they monitor you closely for a short time to ensure you’re stable before discharge.
- Before you go, they’ll provide post-procedure instructions and follow-up recommendations. This might include the need for lifestyle modification, physical therapy, and pain management strategies as additional components to address chronic pain conditions.
Are There Risks With An LTESI Procedure?
While this procedure is generally safe when performed by a trained professional, potential risks may include:
- Soreness At The Injection Site
- Temporary Changes In Blood Sugar & Blood Pressure Levels
- Facial Flushing
- Nerve Damage
- Post-Dural Puncture Headache
However, every precaution is taken to mitigate these risks. Your well-being is the first consideration at every step of the procedure.
What To Expect Post-Procedure
Post-procedure, patients typically experience immediate pain relief due to the local anesthetic. The corticosteroid begins working within a few days, furnishing longer-lasting relief.
Preparing For Your Lumbar Transforaminal Injection
To prepare for your treatment, you should:
- Discuss your medical history and medications with your doctor/
- Fast for at least six hours before the procedure.
- Arrange for a ride home after the procedure since driving is discouraged.
- Follow any other instructions your doctor or technician gives you.
Conquering Back Pain With LTESI At Advanced Pain Medical Group
Choosing the right pain management solution is paramount in your fight against back pain. If you’re in Los Angeles, Kern, and Ventura County, CA, we invite you to rediscover mobility and reclaim your life quality with Lumbar Transforaminal Epidural Steroid Injection at Advanced Pain Medical Group. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.